Recipe : Beef, Apple and Quinoa Balls
Posted on July 20 2017
Looking for something that's high in protein and good for the whole family?
Here's the answer these Beef, Apple & Quinoa Balls are high protein, low fat, low sodium, gluten/nut/diary free: and make a perfect snack for when you're on the go.
If you're heading home for a meal post-workout, your time spent in the kitchen needs to be quick and easy. With these Beef, Apple & Quinoa Balls you'll effortlessly create these into a quick meal the whole family can enjoy by serving with steamed green vegetables, roasted pumpkin or steamed brown rice... and they're awesome with a little tomato relish/chutney or sweet chilli sauce!
For these Beef, Apple & Quinoa Balls our family enjoys them with beef mince and paprika/cumin but you can easily adapt to suit your tastes. Beef mince can be changed for lamb, chicken, pork or turkey. Choosing spices and herbs that complement your choice of meat will ensure this dish will be asked for again and again.
Our top tips for this recipe is to make a big batch and freeze (once cooked) into meal size portions. Simply reheat in the oven before serving or enjoy cold.
500 g lean ground beef (low fat option if available)
500 g cooked and cooled quinoa
1 large apple grated (we keep the skin on and use a red apple)
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
1 handful coriander/cilantro roughly chopped
1 pinch black pepper
1 large egg beaten
1. Preheat oven to 180c/350f.
2. Add to a large bowl the beef, apple (grated), paprika, cumin, tomato paste,freshly chopped coriander and black pepper.
3. Add the cooled (previously cooked) quinoa to the meat mixture along with the beaten egg and mix until well combined.
4. Form into equal size balls and place on a greased baking tray.
5. Bake in the oven until golden all over and cooked through, turn them at the half way point to ensure they are cooked through evenly. Total cooking time approx 30 mins.